Thorne Sub Aqua Club

Rib Dive on SS Chloris 29 metres (low water)

High Water 08:24 (Slack Water 10:00am)


Saturday 7 July 2012


Dive Report: Marcus Walker


Divers: Marcus Walker, Darren Grey, Geoff Elsthorpe, Steve Salmon, Andy Keys



Back at Hornsea and once again the only dive rib insight, or for that matter fishing boat or any other sea fairing vessel.


Not deterred by the looming rain clouds, swell and white horses we boldly launched Major Tom and set off into the horizon with low expectations.


Half an hour on we all arrived battered and bruised from the effects of Darren's delicate boat handling. Shotting the wreck a few times before finally sticking the anchor on the shot to make sure it stayed in the wreck we readied ourselves to leap into the briny sludge.


I led the first wave in accompanied by Geoff and Andy. The usual poor viz kicked in at 8 metres but opened up to a surprisingly good 6 metres at the bottom on the Chloris.


The SS Chloris was built in Montrose in 1904 and measured in at 64 metres with a draught of 4.11 m and a beam of 10 metres. Weighing 984 tons she had an aft positioned 3 cylinder triple expansion steam engine and single (possibly steel) propeller.


The SM UB 107 torpedoed the Chloris at 11:25am on 27 July 1918. Captain J Young was commanding the Chloris with a crew of 19 on route from Christiana to Hull with a cargo of rough pulp wood and timber. The torpedo detonated on the starboard side of No.2 hold killing 3 crew including Captain Young. The remaining crew were picked up by a Grimsby trawler. The Chloris took a big hit on her hull but stayed afloat for half an hour before sinking.


I finally caught up with Geoff and Andy at the bottom after sorting my ears out and found the shot line secured 4 metres from the bow on the starboard side. A great wreck with the bows still 3 metres proud of the bottom and some great swim throughs' in No1 hold and out of the bow. A few cod and ling about. Ignoring Geoff who was obsessively playing with his new video camera we made our way to the stern  past the clearly visible torpedo damage amidships.


Swimming to the large boilers towards the stern again about 4 metres proud we made our way back to the highly visible shot line only to find Geoff nowhere to be seen. After ascending we made our ascent only to find that Geoff had got lost and put up a DSMB but unfortunately surfaced with it, minus a few minutes stops enabling us to use our O2 kit for the first time this year.


Another good dive and its great that Thorne SAC seem to be the only club braving this bloody awful summer.



Marcus Walker

Diving Officer

28 June 2012

  Site Map